Sunday, September 21, 2014

LOCKE by Harper Sloan

LOCKE
(Corps Security #5)
by Harper Sloan
ARC Review
Release: September 29th, 2014

My rating: 4 of 5 ⭐️









"Darkness is the only thing I see. Ever since the day my life changed. The day that everything and everyone I held close to me ceased to exist. The day I lost it all and the demons of my past consumed my every waking moment.

I tried to keep others at arm’s length. Tried not to let my darkness taint them. Ruin them. Harm them. And whether I want to admit it or not, as much as I wish I could keep them locked out, they refuse to leave. Refuse to let me suffer alone.

If I hadn’t been so focused on keeping those demons from flying free, I wouldn’t have missed how one perfect angel was able to sneak her way under my skin—refusing to let go. Making me want things I don’t deserve.

She consumes me. Her beauty knows no end. The love she promises tempts me every time she’s near. But that pure heart that makes her MY Emmy is the one thing I’m convinced I’ll destroy if I ever let her close.

I’m a broken man. A broken man with too much darkness in his soul to ever let her light shine upon me. But even that doesn’t stop me from craving her with every single breath in my body."


*****

Long awaited, Maddox Locke finally gets his story - and his woman!!

Always the dark horse among the Alpha riddled Corps Security team, Maddox Locke has been a solid presence since the beginning of the series, always lingering in the periphery. Everyone has noticed the penchant he has to steer his fellow Corps members and their love interest to a satisfactory outcome with his enigmatic and deep snippets of wisdom. Unfortunately, he never bothered to apply any of it on himself, skirting the years-long attraction between him and the security team's office assisstant Emmy. His deep-rooted and firmly planted misconceived lack of self-worth has never been a topic of conversation, since he very cleverly has kept himself shielded from prying questions and eyes. Emmy however, has never failed to see right through him, even if he doesn't realize the extend of her knowledge and understanding. She hasn't been careful with her heart, and has laid it quite open for him. But it isn't until she is ready to give up on him and take herself away from the pain of his constant rejection, that he gets a grasp on what he might be throwing away.

This is a story that deals with some serious issues, varying from rape, to abuse, to post-traumatic stress disorder. And those preparing to read it, should take this into account. Harper deals very respectfully with the impact of active service and combat injury, and the resulting high potential for PTSD, as well as the inherent difficulty for a veteran, like men in general, to identify, voice it or deal with it as a problem. 

This story confirmed my suspicions around the darkness that had always surrounded Maddox and his growth through this novel did not disappoint in the least. I adore him.
Emmy however, surprised me. She had always been portrayed as a rather demure and quiet little mouse with pain in her past and an obvious attraction to Maddox. In this book her disturbing background is revealed, however, she seems to have gone through a bit of a personality change. The sweetness returns at some point during the book and her caring character stays the same, but she is far more mouthy and feisty than I've come to know her.
Not a bad thing necessarily, just a change of dynamic that threw me a little.

A great story full of emotion, drama and unbridled passion that finds its way, even in anger. An absolute necessary addition to this fabulous series by Harper Sloan!!

✨Deep, dark, soul-searching revelations!✨ 

**Copy provided in return for an honest review.**




 Amazon.com  Amazon.ca  Amazon.UK  Amazon.AUS

add-to-goodreads-button31

No comments:

Post a Comment