Monday, November 6, 2017

Review - THE UGLY ROSES TRILOGY by Harlow Stone



The Ugly Roses Trilogy

"My life has an expiration date, Ryder. And it’s not like yours that includes wrinkles, grey hair and grandchildren.” 


The Ugly Roses Trilogy #1- Frayed Rope 

On the run.
A new name, a new country, a new life.
One man wants to love me.
The other one wants me dead.
Three days trapped in that tomb he called a basement.
I'm free now and the only thing stopping me from going home is... I don't know who 'he' is, yet.
I need justice, redemption, and my broody neighbor Ryder Callaghan may be the man to help me.
Am I able to open to open up to him about my past? Or will I embrace the cold-hearted bitch I have become and leave him behind like everything else in my shit life.
I was once a nice woman named Jayne O'Connor.
I'm not sure I know who that is anymore.


The Ugly Roses Trilogy #2 - Concealed Affliction 

One crooked Mayor
His fiance
A few good men and a slut named Claudia.
He lied.
Ryder didn't help me.
He broke my f*cking heart.
I'm at a crossroad and no matter which way I turn, I'm f*cked.
Ryder or retribution?
This life of mine isn't a fairytale.
I know I can't have both. 


The Ugly Roses Trilogy #3 - Blinded By Fate 

A shady police force
One unborn child
Inmate number 67413
What you believe you know is all a lie.
Trapped in a cage, the harsh bite of concrete under my knees is a cruel reminder of my past.
Surrendering is not an option, and retribution may not be the answer.
This is a reckoning. 


"Ryder doesn’t wait, he takes it. Like everything else in life, he grabs it by the horns and rides that bitch into the sunset. No holds barred, he takes whatever he wants and doesn’t stop until I give it back." 

The Ugly Roses Trilogy is recommended +18 Due to mature content, foul language, nudity, sex, and all other things steamy. If being attacked is a trigger then this book is not for you.
Full length contemporary romance 






4 of 5 Stars

Frayed Rope, Book #1
I am still reeling in all that happened to Jayne/Elle that has brought her to this point in her life. We meet Elle as she is finishing he recovery in the hospital after having her face reconstructed. She comes across as very reserved and to herself. Not willing to open herself to anyone. Her furry friend Norma is her only confidant. Elle's reserved nature is very calculated and researched. Almost like every step is being rehearsed first.

As we start to see into her nightmares and habits it soon become apparent of the trauma she has endured. It is so sick and twisted that you find yourself wondering how she is even trying to run and move forward after everything she has lost and experienced. She finds herself renting a small cottage on the outskirts of a small town and she might even be feeling a little bit of safety in the secluded area.

When she discovers that the closest neighbor is a handsome security company owner, that might help in her feelings of safety. She is not very quick to let Ryder into her life in any shape or form and she throws every bitchy attitude she can at him as a defense mechanism. In his line of business he quickly sees through her shit and understands that she has walls up and is trying to push him away. He is not easily deterred and he most certainly want to get to know this new beauty a little better. Drawn to her in ways he has never felt before.

Will Ryder convince Elle that he is a good guy and get her to let him in a little? Will Elle find someone to share her story with in Ryder? Is it possible that a woman who has lost everything might be willing to trust and feel again.

I found the story to start a little slowly as we were introduced to the characters and the beginning of the story, but once I got into the story I found it hard to put down. It is a bit of a dark topic and at times the detail is a little bit disturbing but it all adds to the story. I knew with it being part 1 of a trilogy to expect a cliffhanger and Ms Stone did not disappoint.

Concealed Affliction, Book #2

Elle has known one defense for the past year and that is run. She has let her guard down where Ryder is concerned and she has maybe even let herself feel and hope. She knew better, everyone she gets close to leaves at some point.

To many people are beginning to know her secrets and the only way to keep them safe is to go back and confront those secrets. She is determined to go alone and has made it very clear to Ryder that she can't deal with lies. She doesn't want his protection. Elle/Jayne goes to her friends that she willing left behind to keep them safe.

Ryder doesn't listen very well and sends his men in silence to be there is she needs them. They are all trying to find the pieces she needs to be safe. Unfortunately it seems it might be Ryder's personal problems causing her more heartache and danger. Will he be able to keep her safe and will she ever understand.

Hopefully she can hold strong and keep fighting. Fighting for her life, for justice to be served.

The twists that book 2 take us on are unexpected and just add to the depth of the story. She has undying love and friendship from more than she ever expected. Let's hope it enough to keep fighting.

Ms. Stone has my mind racing with what is going to happen in book 3.

Blinded by Fate, Book #3
Picking right up where we left off. Everyone is so very worried about Elle and how she will make it through these latest events.

Elle once again shows us her amazing strength and willingness to not give up. She once again has something to want to live for. Ryder has opened her heart in ways she never thought possible again.

Through all these events she has found herself with a family of friends as strong and loyal as once from blood.

Ryder has never seen a life of love and relationship in his future before finding Elle. But now that he has opened his heart he wants nothing more than to spend the rest of his life with her. He is determined to do everything in his power to make her safe and to "Keep" her.

Will the be able to free Elle/Jayne from the horror of her past. Will love prevail and will she finally get her happy ending?

This was a strong ending to this trilogy.

Ms. Stone kept me wanting to the very end, needing to know what happened next and hoping that justice would be served in the end. If you are looking for an on you toes kind of read, give Elle and Ryder a chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment