Tuesday, May 6, 2014

HIGHWAY DON'T CARE by Lani Lynn Vale

HIGHWAY DON'T CARE
(Freebirds #2)
by Lani Lynn Vale
ARC Review
Release: April 2014

My rating: 4.5 of 5 ⭐️





Her
Snark. Jokes. Attitude.
These were all things I used to disguise the hole in my heart. I'm not a happy person. I don't live life. I just exist. That is until that beautiful man rides in on his Harley Fat Boy and burns rubber on the way into my heart.

Him

My life's been no hayride either. Everyone I've ever loved in life has died or betrayed me. So I stay back and watch. Unless you're one of my brothers, you get nothing from me. I don't participate. I ride. I eat. I sleep. I work. And I repeat. That is until Ember stomps into my life with her bad attitude. She's all piss and vinegar, and makes me want to share my bike seat for the first time. 


Together
They fight like cats and dogs. Don't see eye to eye on a single thing. They rant, rave, and yell.
They bring out the best in each other. They heal each other's hearts and souls. They find what they were missing, even the things they never even knew they had.

Everything is perfect. If you didn't count a gang, one of the biggest in the South, gunning for Ember. That, or the pure evilness that is Gabe's ex-girlfriend. Gabe will have to put his life on the line to save the one woman he loves, but will it be enough?

One thing is constant in life. It's about the journey, not about the destination.

*****

Whew!! Righteous ride!!

There were a ton of things I really loved about this book, not the least of which was the rather unconventional setting for an MC novel. I absolutely adored it!! Perhaps MC series is not even the right label for the Freebirds books, since the group doesn't seem to have quite the structure and hierarchy that we have become accustomed to. They are more an equal band of brothers, with everyone working together and living in what almost feels like a small housing complex, instead of a so-called "compound", everything set in quite a relaxed atmosphere.... That is, until Ember is attacked.

Self-sufficient since the death of her parents and her brother's deployment shortly thereafter, Ember is accustomed to relying on herself. So much so, that she doesn't even consider calling her brother when she is being attacked, but calls Gabe instead. That is of some significance, her brother had not been there after their parents' death, leaving her with no one who had her back. She instinctively trusts Gabe to keep her safe, to take care of her.

Not big on trust himself, Gabe goes through the motions for the most part, not making connections that can be broken again. But Ember slipped in there somehow, being part of the 'family', but very unassuming. Until she is hurt and despite himself he lays his claim right away, needing to protect her. And for all her resistance and attitude, she ends up going to battle for him, which is his complete undoing.

I loved that unlike with so many love stories, with Gabe and Ember there was no game playing, no veiled messages, or a "guess what I'm feeling". No, it was all pretty clear and above board in terms of expectations and although there were plenty of roadblocks along the way, and some green-monster moments, none of them were allowed to play out for very long. I really, really loved that, because THAT seems so much more realistic than having a little jealous moment blow up into to a '3-chapter' freeze-out!! Those things never make sense to me! The ugly jealousy thing does, but not the sitting back and allowing it to happen! You straighten that sh*t out, right away!

Of course, in big burly biker tradition, there is phenomenally hot, growly, spine-tingling and panty-dropping bedroom gymnastics. Specifically designed to make us poor hapless readers whimper with frustration and want. 

This book was big on snappy banter too, especially humerous when the girls get going and make all those big ol' biker dudes squirm in their seats and roll their eyes. Girls being goofballs and the guys pretending they're not amused. Right.

Great vibe I got off this book, and what I am going to go with is my gut on this one.....and it tells me that if there were a next instalment in front of me right now, I would dive right in, because this one left me feeling pretty awesome! So, Lani Lynn Vale.....bring it on!!

✨Solid story, great vibe, snappy banter, tingly sex and a righteous ride!!✨

**Copy provided in return for an honest review.**




 Amazon.com  Amazon.ca  Amazon.UK  Amazon.AUS
 Kobo  Barnes&Noble

add-to-goodreads-button31

No comments:

Post a Comment